Driving commercial vehicles are of great significance. The drivers are required to be sensible while driving the vehicles. The Department of Transport (DOT) often comes up with special drives to find out of your driver is sensible towards safety measures to their personal life as well as public life. You need to take the initiative at the right point of time so that your drivers can prove their efficiency with the steering wheel. The DOT physical test is a similar drive that checks if the drivers are perfect to carry out their responsibilities as a driver. The test is conducted by registered doctors. The test is conducted strictly on the guidelines of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). It ensures if the CDL drivers and various other safety-sensitive employees are in perfect health condition mentally as well as physically.
The entire procedure of DOT Physicals is conducted in the mutual cooperation of the doctors, drivers, and other employees including the employers. However, the employees as well as drivers are required to play their part well. They need to produce the following documents:
• Spectacles in case they wear them
• List of medicines that they are taking at the time of DOT Physicals. They also need to mention their dose.
• Hearing aid if they need them while driving the vehicles
• Yearly checkup report that is prepared by a professional specialist needs to be produced at the time of test.
Things to Expect from the DOT Physical Tests:
The specialists administering the DOT Physical tests are very sensible towards maintaining the standards that are mandated by the FMCSA. As an employee or the employer you can expect the following:
• The doctor will examine and review the health history of the drivers/ employees.
• He will record various physical conditions that would include pulse rate, blood pressure, weight, and height of the employees attending the test.
• Checking the power of the eyes using the eye chart.
• Verifying other physical standards including flexibility of limbs, breathing abilities, and range of motion.
• He should conduct analysis of blood and urine for the addiction with Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates, Phencyclidine, and Amphetamines.
Responsibilities of the doctors/ specialists who administer the DOT Physicals:
Usually, the doctors for the DOT Physicals are appointed by the FMCSA. The appointment is based on the qualifications and experience of the doctors. The specialists are required to carry out their responsibilities to the best of their abilities so that they can find the best drivers who are safe for themselves as well as for the people around them while they drive. Following are some of the responsibilities they need to carry out:
• Preparation of the reports to the best of their abilities.
• Preserving the records for future usage
• Providing the right advice to the drivers and others who undergo the test.
• While examining the drivers and others, they must remember and follow the guidelines of FMCSA.
The significance of DOT Physicals is severe and that is why everyone concerned with the same needs to play their part well so that everyone can get complete peace of mind. The success of this initiative can bring safety and security on the road for everyone.